Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Madd Style Cosmetics: Youtube dupage.

Recently I watched Jazziebabycakes's "To Infinity & Beyond" tutorial and wanted to see how I would fare duping it using all MSC products. I didn't do things exactly as she did, and in retrospect, there are a couple of things I should have tweaked a bit more while photographing the tutorial--but I still think the following pictutorial will give you a good idea how easy it is to adapt anything you see to an awesome look using Madd Style Cosmetics products. If you're curious to see what I got up to, read on. :)

To start out, these are the supplies I used:

(Gabriel Color Mascara in "Black"; NYX Eyeshadow Base in "White"; The All Natural Face Primer in "Buff"; Madd Style Cosmetics pigments in: (t) Up in Smoke "Black", (middle-l) Ecto Cooler, (bottom-l) Jubilee, (middle-r) Tweaker, (bottom-r) Electric Koolaid; Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Eye Pencil in "Yeyo"; flat eyeshadow brush; domed crease brush; angled liner brush; pencil brush; fluffy brush; 00 sized paint brush; 000 sized paint brush.)

As always, you want to start by applying your primer and base. I rubbed my finger around in my All Natural Face primer and then applied it to my eyelid, all the way up to the brow. Next, for my base I applied NYX Eyeshadow base in the center of my lid and then blended it out on the whole lid and up towards my crease/brow bone.

(Funny story: here I thought I was going to be so clever and not photograph my priming/base steps, since my process is the same every time (depending on which products I use). These two pictures are from previous tutorials--and little did I think, they're the "wrong" eye for the rest of the tutorial!! So have yourselves a little laugh about that now and get it out of your system. :))

For this look, as Jazziebabycakes did in her tutorial, I foiled my lid colour. I could have applied Madd Style's Awesome Sauce to my lid and got a fairly similar effect, but I wanted to wet my brush with water, simply because I don't try out that application technique enough! All I did was stick my brush under the tap for a second--you don't want to have your brush soaking wet, but you want it thoroughly damp. Next, I dipped the brush into Ecto Cooler and then smooshed the colour into the bristles using the inside of the lid. I, then, applied this all over my lid.

(See how intense and awesome the colour turns out this way?!! GAH!)

Then, using the same brush, I blended out Ecto Cooler (not really by bringing the colour from my lid up, but by using the rest of the product that was on my brush and gently brushing it along the harsh line that you saw in the previous picture) towards my crease until I ended up with something like this:


To do the crease/outer lid part--I took Jubilee on a domed crease brush and applied it to the outside lid, gently blended it into the outer most Ecto Cooler, and then brought the colour up into my outer crease.


Now for the neato lower lash line stuff! Grab a white liner and line your lower lash. TRY not to get too much IN your lashes (seriously--I'm really bad at not doing it--and the UD stuff is sticky!)


Switching brushes, I used an angled liner brush and picked up some of the very awesome Electric Koolaid. I applied this all along my lash line, trying to keep the line as close to my lashes as possible.

(Side note: Electric Koolaid is soon to be discontinued as Mo's supplier will not longer carry some of its essential ingredients. Pick up this colour while you still can!!!)


To wing the purple out I placed a bit more Electric Koolaid on my brush and placed the brush on the outside of my eye, following the line/direction of my lower lashes.


For the tiny white line, I took a 00 sized paint brush with some NYX Eyeshadow Base on it and painted the line on just above where the Electric Koolaid was. Easy peasy!


Changing my brush (again!), I picked up my pencil brush, dipped it into Tweaker, swirled it around in the inside of the lid, and applied it to my ducts while gently blending it up towards the inner eye.

(Side note: Tweaker is currently discontinued. For a substitute, 3rd Wish could be used!!)


At this point, my lids looked something like this:


For my brow highlight, I used Tweaker again--but switched to a fluffier brush in order to get a nice subtle wash of Tweaker. I blended this colour down towards the inside of my eye and swirled it around on the seam between Ecto Cooler/Jubilee and the brow bone.


To finish it up, all you need to do is apply a black liner and some mascara! I used the Up in Smoke "Black" as a liner. I mixed it together with Aromaleigh's (the now defunct) Eyeliner Sealant. To guide the wing shape, I just put it right above the white and filled in the very obtuse triangle to meet the rest of the liner. (I will do a better/more indepth explanation of liner...soonish!)


And here is a photo with flash:


This was incredibly fun to put on and to wear! As I said in my "intro"--retrospectively, I wish I would have applied a bit more Jubilee--but I still liked the end result. :)

So see? Even though I didn't have ANY of the products that Jazziebabycakes used, I ended up with a look that is pretty close to what she had.

If there is anything you'd like to see me do next, or any colours you'd like to see me use, let me know! For my "tips" blog of the month, I plan to give you all a run down of my brush situation--the brushes I love, and the ones I wish I never bought!! So stay tuned for that.

4 comments:

  1. I love this look, especially the liner/pigment wing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool!! Love the double liner w/ white :D FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tiffany!

    And thanks, Jen!!

    I wish I had done the lower purple liner at a higher angle so that the white also would have been sharper--so that *the* black could have been steeper/more winged. There is always next time! :)

    ReplyDelete